One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A musical instrument, or a copy of one, dating from the time the music played on it was composed.
- ‘All members of Europa Galante play original instruments or modern copies, but I guess that goes without saying here.’
- ‘The modern revival of the harpsichord began with the growing interest in Baroque music in the mid-19th century, when A. J. Hipkins and others began to play on original instruments.’
- ‘At the same time, there has also been a return to originals, especially in the area of music, with extensive research on original instruments and scores of the Baroque period revealing new levels in the western musical tradition.’
- ‘This is a wonderful original instruments recording of some of Bach's finest chamber music.’
- ‘The Chilingirian Quartet, playing original instruments, appears in three of the Tavener works only.’
- ‘The Yorkshire Bach Choir, which recently recorded the Monteverdi Vespers, concentrates on music from the late 16th to early 19th centuries, both unaccompanied and with original instruments.’
- ‘They play works from the baroque and classical periods on original instruments, and present some of the world's finest singers of florid music when they work in opera.’
- ‘To hear it played by Concerto Köln, a classical original instruments ensemble, and Sarband, a German-based group specializing in traditional Turkish music, is a joyously noisy treat.’
- ‘There was also an organ in medieval Kings, and it would have been used for services like these… but the current King's organ is half-a-millennium ahead of the original instrument, so they've thought it best not to use it at all.’
- ‘All of our music is performed on original instruments i.e. domra, balalaika, bayan as well as guitar, tambura, percussion and’
- ‘Hindemith was one of the first to perform Baroque music with an original instrument ensemble (at Yale University, where he taught for many years).’
- ‘I've never cared to engage in any argument regarding modern versus original instruments, though I'll take modern any day.’
- ‘We recorded a Philips plate with baroque music playing on original instruments.’
- ‘There was a band playing called Diabolus in Musica who perform with original instruments from medieval times they had everything from bagpipes to a lute.’
- ‘The more acerbic timbres of original instruments ensembles can make the music seem more adventurous than it does here, but Cantilena's rounded, attractive sound is self-justifying.’
- ‘Goebel and his Musica Antiqua Köln play on original instruments or on copies thereof.’
- ‘Baroque composers aren't the only ones who might benefit from a review of original instruments and techniques.’
- ‘Fanatical original instrument recordings of Haydn or Vivaldi usually leave me cold.’
- ‘Their approach has been criticised as too heavy and it has become a widespread view that Haydn and Mozart can only be played by chamber orchestras and on original instruments.’
- ‘I don't know if the Sinfonia is an original instruments ensemble, but whether it is or isn't, its timbres and performance style certainly suggest one.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.