One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A competitive sport in which runners have to find their way across rough country with the aid of a map and compass.
- ‘Activities will include canoeing, indoor rock-climbing, abseiling, archery and orienteering.’
- ‘However, inspectors said schools were working hard to give children the chance to take part in a wider range of activities, such as street hockey and orienteering.’
- ‘But the image of a soggy day out walking with teachers as they struggle to decipher an upside-down ordnance survey guide is miles from the reality of orienteering as a serious sport.’
- ‘Rambling, hill walking and orienteering can allow you to enjoy healthy, effective exercise and Scotland's unique countryside simultaneously.’
- ‘If you enjoy running or walking, if you are interested in maps and navigation, or if you like outdoor sport, then orienteering is for you.’
- ‘The outdoor experts offer to take them off your hands and either into the water or the woods to try out kayaking, canoeing, archery and orienteering.’
- ‘Take geocaching, a small but growing nerd sport that combines the childhood thrill of the scavenger hunt with the bushwhacking joys of orienteering.’
- ‘He is hoping to get young people involved in both the new sport and traditional orienteering, which is very much a minority sport itself with about 1000 members nationally.’
- ‘Scandinavia is the home of orienteering, and the British Federation knows that potential international runners must gain experience in the toughest and most technical terrain.’
- ‘They won by the considerable margin of 100 points over their nearest rival, South Yorkshire Orienteers, who for so long were the dominant force in English orienteering.’
- ‘Scandinavia remains the spiritual home of orienteering, and most of the world's best competitors still come from Sweden, Norway and Finland.’
- ‘Queensland Orienteering Association development officer Liz Bourne says that probably more than any other sport orienteering has suffered from the loss of bushland, particularly around Brisbane.’
- ‘Brgs has a long history of achievement in sport and has enjoyed recent success at national and county championship level in netball, basketball and orienteering.’
- ‘Anyone wishing to try the exacting yet exciting sport of orienteering is invited to attend Ebor's event at the White Horse, Kilburn on Sunday, January 19.’
- ‘Anyone new to orienteering can try the beginners' event at Rawcliffe Bar Country Park on Sunday between 10 am and 12.30 pm, where help and instruction will be available.’
- ‘In the sport of orienteering, a competitor uses a detailed map to navigate his or her way across varied terrain following a course drawn on the map.’
- ‘They both represented Ireland on the same weekend in separate orienteering competitions.’
- ‘The many activities on offer will include arts and crafts, basketball, boating, bowling, swimming, orienteering and soccer in addition to French language courses and computer courses.’
- ‘Teams have joked that winter orienteering is a non-issue because all you need to do is follow the course-setter or leader's tracks.’
- ‘‘Ski orienteering is probably one of the toughest cross-country disciplines,’ he said.’
1940s: from Swedish orientering.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.