Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Denoting synthetic organic compounds containing phosphorus, especially pesticides and nerve gases of this kind.
- ‘Most modern synthetic organophosphorus compounds are tailor-made to inhibit acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme essential for life in humans and other animal species.’
- ‘Most of them belong to the carbamate, nicotinoid and organophosphorus families.’
- ‘Curare, botulinum toxin, and organophosphorus insecticides each interfere with neural transmission.’
- ‘There is no evidence of which I am aware to associate exposure to organophosphorus compounds, including nerve agents, with asthma.’
- ‘In developing countries, poisons consumed are commonly toxins such as organophosphorus compounds and aluminium phosphide, and thus mortality is high.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.