One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Denoting synthetic organic compounds containing phosphorus, especially pesticides and nerve gases of this kind.
- ‘There is no evidence of which I am aware to associate exposure to organophosphorus compounds, including nerve agents, with asthma.’
- ‘Curare, botulinum toxin, and organophosphorus insecticides each interfere with neural transmission.’
- ‘In developing countries, poisons consumed are commonly toxins such as organophosphorus compounds and aluminium phosphide, and thus mortality is high.’
- ‘Most of them belong to the carbamate, nicotinoid and organophosphorus families.’
- ‘Most modern synthetic organophosphorus compounds are tailor-made to inhibit acetylcholinesterase, an enzyme essential for life in humans and other animal species.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.