One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any organic compound whose molecule contains one or more phosphate ester groups, especially a pesticide of this kind.
- ‘A case in point is organophosphates, infamous for their devastating effects on the central nervous system.’
- ‘Exposure to some pesticides, particularly the organophosphates, destroys important enzymes in the nervous system.’
- ‘Regarding organophosphates, the only difference found was in Hungary, where the percentage use was higher.’
- ‘Organophosphates act like a nerve gas, paralyzing the nervous system of the flea.’
- ‘Each year organophosphates poison thousands of humans throughout the world, causing hundreds of deaths.’
- ‘I am aware that this is a legal action to do with organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘At no time did Mr Stoker experience symptoms consistent with acute poisoning with organophosphates.’
- ‘The symptoms of poisoning by organophosphates progress through several stages.’
- ‘David Johnson, a neuropsychologist with the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh, believes sperm can be genetically damaged by organophosphates.’
- ‘Evidence is emerging that children may be particularly vulnerable to the effects of organophosphates.’
- ‘She remains convinced the cause was organophosphates in sheep dip.’
- ‘It works on the nervous system in a similar way to organophosphates.’
- ‘I believe the leaking of organophosphates out into the wider community must lie with the farmers.’
- ‘I just want to describe, when we talk about nerve agents, we are specifically talking about a special compound known as organophosphates.’
- ‘Organophosphates are also used in the most common types of chemical weapons.’
- ‘In 5 patients the compound ingested could not be identified but was probably an organophosphate.’
- ‘Like a good many other people I still believe that organophosphates have a lot to answer for.’
- ‘Scientists from Manchester University studied an enzyme found in blood which is responsible for breaking down an organophosphate used in sheep dip.’
- ‘Blain described central and peripheral nervous system effects associated with low-level exposures to organophosphates.’
- ‘The Edinburgh-based Institute of Occupational Medicine has reported nerve damage among farm workers exposed to organophosphates.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.