Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a compound) containing a metal atom bonded to an organic group or groups.
- ‘Ziegler was researching organometallic compounds (carbon compounds that contain metals) and their effects on polymerization reaction.’
- ‘An organometallic compound is an organic compound in which a metal atom is attached directly to a carbon, with the exclusion of metallic salts of organic acids.’
- ‘It contains his personal recollections of some of the exciting developments in transition metal organometallic chemistry over the last half-century to which he contributed.’
- ‘Metal carbonyls are organometallic compounds where one or more of the metal ligands are carbon monoxide.’
- ‘In working with organometallic compounds, for example, he placed the metal atom at the center of a geometric figure (such as a cube) and surrounded it with other atoms, ions, and groups of atom at the corners of the figure.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.