One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who plays the organ.
- ‘Many think organists are just accompanists or just play in church.’
- ‘Countless local churchgoers also knew him as their regular organist and choirmaster.’
- ‘Mr Ramsay was one of the more famous cinema organists and was musical director for Union Cinemas, which operated the Ritz and Regal theatre chain.’
- ‘I had been invited to sing in a church choir by my friend, the organist's daughter.’
- ‘The concert ended with a Mass by Bellini in which the organist, choir and soloists gave a magnificent performance.’
- ‘He was an accomplished organist, owning two impressive electronic instruments.’
- ‘The choir will sing from the High Altar in the Church and will be accompanied by their own organist.’
- ‘Students were allowed to play a piece on the organ, and then the organist performed for them.’
- ‘Bach's ‘Clavierubung III’ is one of the monuments of organ literature and has received a number of fine recordings by established organists over the years.’
- ‘In common with organists, drummers, pianists, heavy metal guitarists, and Indian style violinists - he uses his feet to make music.’
- ‘Famous organists drew crowds in the thousands, sometimes more than ten thousand, to the churches, concert halls, pavilions and even department stores with grand organs.’
- ‘As the cathedral organist, he lived just beside it in a lovely old Georgian house.’
- ‘Most of the successful film composers began as theater organists or conductors.’
- ‘Thomas Heywood enjoys an outstanding reputation as one of the world's finest concert organists.’
- ‘Soloists, organists and all musicians are reminded that their primary role is one of service to the liturgy.’
- ‘Sebastian had helped train several organists and pianists during a career that spanned over 40 years.’
- ‘The Caput ensemble (nine brass musicians, two organists, and a bassist along with various bells and electronics) performs the work.’
- ‘He is a first-class pianist and organist and has composed music and written and published his own poems.’
- ‘Some were town musicians (fiddlers or pipers), others organists, Kantors, or Kapellmeister, and not a few were composers of at least local distinction.’
- ‘Perhaps the biggest disappointment - certainly for organists - is the organ writing, and particularly Debussy's limited use of the pedal-board.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.