Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of chemistry that deals with carbon compounds (other than simple salts such as carbonates, oxides, and carbides).
- ‘Dehydration, in the sense of formation of a water molecule through chemical reaction, is an important part of organic chemistry and biochemistry.’
- ‘The fellowships are awarded in synthetic organic chemistry and computational chemistry.’
- ‘Both these guys have PhD's - one in organic chemistry, the other in physics - but if you saw them down the pub or talked to them you'd have no idea.’
- ‘The article reported that astronomers have allegedly found vast waves of water vapor and traces of carbon molecules that can play a basic role in organic chemistry.’
- ‘The field of environmental chemistry calls on organic chemistry, biochemistry and a heck of a lot of biology.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.