Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A gallery in a church or concert hall for an organ.
- ‘His orchestration owes something to the organ loft, his piano writing to the enormous hands which allowed him to create large organistic sonorities: both are extremely effective.’
- ‘We looked at it further and realized that the console had water damage, and also the pipes and other components up in the organ loft had been damaged as well.’
- ‘The discovery of a dusty collection of music in the organ loft at San Pedro was serendipitous.’
- ‘He says he caught the music bug when, at the age of 12, he accompanied the St Paul's organist to the cathedral organ loft to turn pages for him for a BBC recording.’
- ‘She retired from the organ loft of Great Ouseburn church last year, but still plays regularly at Little Ouseburn.’
- ‘And practical as well: for ‘Landscapes of Patmos’, inspired by Revelations, Eben chose tom-toms, drums and other light percussion precisely so that they could be carried up into confined organ lofts.’
- ‘St John's has just launched a £750,000 appeal to complete repairs on its lighting and heating systems, external masonry and to build a new choir and organ loft on the west wall.’
- ‘To expand the number of seats in this chapel, which serves as the school's spiritual and community life, Beha extended the existing organ loft into a new balcony accommodating 130 new seats.’
- ‘It was I who took John's place in the organ loft, surrounded by the streaming-eyed souls of his beloved choir.’
- ‘Anton Pilgram's organ loft in St. Stephen in Vienna resembles a monumental reworking of an inverted design for the base of a chalice.’
- ‘The new choir and organ loft will create a useful space underneath for a vestry with a secure area for valuables, kitchens, toilets and storage space.’
- ‘Perhaps both were most at home in the organ loft.’
- ‘The organ loft also features a state-of-the-art sound and music reproducing system for special occasions.’
- ‘The generous entrance hall, defined by a travertine screen wall, is partly enclosed within by a raised organ loft.’
- ‘The church had already launched an appeal to raise £750,000 to not only replace the heating and lighting systems, but to build a new choir and organ loft over the West Door.’
- ‘Major restoration work is needed in the tower and organ loft of the historic church.’
- ‘The blaze was caused by someone leaving a stove alight in the organ loft.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.