One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A chocolate biscuit with a white cream filling.
- ‘‘Lets get a snack first,’ he said heading towards the kitchen, ‘Chocolate chip or Oreo?’’
- ‘I was trying to drown my sorrows in Oreos and chocolate milk.’
- ‘These quarter-sized versions of Oreos - crispy chocolate cookies with sugared-lard white filling - are both familiar and tasty.’
- ‘For dessert we both had this concoction involving Oreo cookies and ice cream.’
- ‘Yesterday I had a half a package of Oreos with chocolate creme filling.’
- 1.1derogatory, informal A black American who is seen, especially by other black people, as wishing to be part of the white establishment.
Early 20th century: invented name.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.