One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An aromatic Eurasian plant related to marjoram, with small purple flowers and leaves used as a culinary herb.
Origanum vulgare, family Labiatae
- ‘Thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon, and parsley are all likely contenders for windows with ledges at nose height.’
- ‘Avoid whole herbs with woody or rigid stems, such as oregano, sage, rosemary, tarragon, or marjoram.’
- ‘Fill containers with herbs, such as oregano, trailing rosemary, salvias, or thyme.’
- ‘Mix together the paprika, dried garlic, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano and thyme in a bowl.’
- ‘Many herbs get a head start when planted now, so put in some coriander, fennel, marjoram, oregano and parsley.’
- ‘Dry spices are fine too, including garlic, paprika, basil, rosemary and oregano.’
- ‘That said, however, roast lamb can take a variety of flavours, from mint, rosemary and oregano to anchovies, garlic and even coffee.’
- ‘Combine with the tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.’
- ‘Once the aubergines are cooked, scatter the torn basil, lemon thyme and oregano over the top, and finish by adding a splash of good red wine vinegar.’
- ‘My favorite herbs to grow are basil, oregano, lemon balm, parsley and mint.’
- ‘Plant seedlings of basil, chives, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, and thyme.’
- ‘Then a handful of fresh, chopped oregano, thyme, basil and tarragon was added.’
- ‘I have used everything from cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin to oregano, basil and rosemary and a lot of other herbs in hamburger dishes.’
- ‘With a silent apology, Beth nipped off a few leaves from the potted sage, oregano, and tarragon and chopped them up finely and set them aside.’
- ‘Add the onion, garlic, leek, gingerroot, lemongrass, thyme, oregano, and lime leaf.’
- ‘While I was out there I pruned back the mint, rosemary and oregano plants which were past their best.’
- ‘Try it with basil, bay, garlic, thyme, and even oregano to add depth and a subtle perfume to your foods.’
- ‘As was my feta cheese, which had been marinated in lemon thyme and oregano and came with crispy salad leaves and chargrilled vegetables.’
- ‘Try more flavourings such as curry, fresh lemon juice, garlic, onions, oregano, basil and cumin.’
- ‘Starting from crushed tomatoes, add oregano, basil, thyme, chilies, real Parmesan, fresh garlic and more.’
Late 18th century: from Spanish, variant of origanum.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.