One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The lowest rank of sailor in the Royal Navy, below able seaman.
- ‘He had been serving for three years as an ordinary seaman on an English sailing ship and spoke English perfectly.’
- ‘He was promoted to an able, then demoted back to an ordinary seaman for again fighting with a petty officer.’
- ‘There is some attempt to suggest the difference between officers of rank, who wear hats, and ordinary seamen, who do not.’
- ‘Crew from the admiral down to ordinary seamen had no enmity towards their opposite numbers.’
- ‘It was said that an ordinary seaman on the Admiral's flagship publicly disagreed with this conclusion and was promptly hanged from the yardarm for his insubordination.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.