Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Not distinctive or remarkable in appearance.‘a street of ordinary-looking terraced houses’
unattractive, unprepossessing, as plain as a pikestaff, ugly, ill-favoured, unlovely, ordinary-lookingView synonyms
- ‘Her eldest daughter, an ordinary-looking girl, was twelve years old, but I should have taken her to be fourteen, and said so.’
- ‘They had to stop at a garage to ask for directions to the local coal merchant, which turned out to be an ordinary-looking, semi-detached house in a side road.’
- ‘The parishioners, mostly middle-aged, ordinary-looking couples, sit quietly, their graying, balding, and silver heads rocking to and fro, humming along with the soothing chanting of the choir.’
- ‘He wolfs down the rest of his tea and the chicken sandwich that will double as breakfast and lunch, and the interview switches venue to his car, a disappointingly ordinary-looking soft-top jeep.’
- ‘When he gets home, he soon discovers this ordinary-looking wooden mask is a magical mask.’
- ‘The only clue to the crime was an ordinary-looking piece of plastic - but within four hours John had his man.’
- ‘It stars two unknown, ordinary-looking youngsters, and all the major supporting players are elderly character actors.’
- ‘Jake stared up at the doctor and a small part of his brain wondered how someone so ordinary-looking could be the father of Rachel Saxby.’
- ‘They are more likely to be ordinary-looking middle-aged gents in business suits, and a few younger in chinos and smart-casual wear.’
- ‘Often the most ordinary-looking exhibits conceal a poignant history.’
- ‘Today this quite ordinary-looking little clam is found in lakes and streams throughout the United States.’
- ‘Just outside the ordinary-looking two-story house on Pensacola Street, four lanes of traffic rush by, but inside, the ground-floor room is unusually quiet and still.’
- ‘It was an ordinary-looking place: the kind you find in any Italian town.’
- ‘Her ugly duckling role has worked like magic, reassuring hundreds of ordinary-looking girls about their self-worth.’
- ‘My favorite gizmo was an ordinary-looking bulletin board in the kitchen.’
- ‘Baseball managers wear uniforms because baseball is a sport of ordinary-looking guys with a collection of different talents.’
- ‘We came to number 47, an ordinary-looking store with tiled floors and fluorescent lights illuminating the merchandise.’
- ‘Initially, she is intrigued by this ordinary-looking man, who seems to know so much about her.’
- ‘The Surrealists knew that ordinary-looking images of commonplace things - from teacups to pieces of fruit - could be employed as tools in the interrogation of social and political ideas.’
- ‘It was difficult, despite his being very ordinary-looking, to take your eyes off him, because of his wonderfully expressive features.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.