One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number defining the position of something in a series, such as ‘first’, ‘second’, or ‘third’. Ordinal numbers are used as adjectives, nouns, and pronouns.Compare with cardinal number
- ‘However, it was not to be, but the second paper describes his theory of well-ordered sets and ordinal numbers.’
- ‘His work on ordered sets and ordinal numbers is fundamental to the subject.’
- ‘This pattern of language differences for ordinal numbers is reminiscent of findings for cardinal numbers in a number of ways.’
- ‘It basically revolves round the set of all ordinal numbers.’
- ‘We should say immediately that the ancient Greeks had different systems for cardinal numbers and ordinal numbers so we must look carefully at what we mean by Greek number systems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.