One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Surgical removal of one or both testicles.
- ‘Systemic analgesia or orchidectomy may be required in individual cases.’
- ‘His left testicle was removed, by a process known as orchidectomy, because it had a tumour.’
- ‘He had to have an orchidectomy and a number of radiotherapy sessions.’
- ‘Alternatively, orchidectomy - surgical removal of both testicles, stops the production of testosterone.’
- ‘No antecedents of orchitis, infectious disease, or orchidectomy had been recorded in the patients' histories.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin orchido- (from a Latinized stem of Greek orkhis ‘testicle’) + -ectomy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.