One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A spider of a kind that builds orb webs. Many species are large and brightly coloured, and wait either in the centre of the web or in a retreat at the edge.
- ‘The best data to date are probably those of Smith, who directly measured flying insect abundance near colonies of orb-web spiders and found that aggregations occurred in areas of high prey availability.’
- ‘In winter, it is the only orb web spider that continues to make webs.’
- ‘For instance, the nocturnal orb-web spider locates artificial light sources and constructs webs close to these lights, which also attract high numbers of flying insects.’
- ‘Here, we investigate the adaptive value of cannibalism in the orb-web spider Nephila plumipes where 60% of males do not survive copulation.’
- ‘The Golden Orb Web Spider is not the largest spider, but makes the largest and strongest web.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.