Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality of being verbally communicated.
- ‘Its orality, its political intentions and ramifications, and its promise of unspoken truths about the African American experience all place it firmly in African American autobiographical traditions.’
- ‘Harper's poem, wonderfully modulated in its orality, speaks to such an audience.’
- 1.1 Preference for or tendency to use spoken forms of language.
- ‘My belief is that writing and language can best be taught by emphasizing the interrelationship between orality and literacy and by teaching respect for the home language and culture of others.’
- ‘This alignment of memory with orality in opposition to literacy remains a contemporary problem that plagues rhetorical memory, as the emphasis on memorization implies.’
- ‘Her brief (and only briefly summarised) lecture on ‘the future of the novel’ is followed by her getting into an argument about orality, performance and the need to please an audience.’
- ‘Literacy requires the infrastructure of printing, distribution, leisure, and wealth, whereas orality depends on village or other communal space and physical places where the recitor and audience can assemble together.’
- ‘His obsession with orality is a good case in point.’
- ‘The problematic nature of this enterprise should be evident by now since it faces the conflicting demands of the visual aesthetic of Modernist poetry and the new orality of mass culture.’
- ‘Walter Ong talks about ‘secondary orality’, or the return of orality, after the long dominance of the potentials of literacy.’
- ‘They examined the role of literacy among the Vai people of Liberia, where they could compare orality with the effect of literacy in the indigenous Vai script and the effect of Western literacy schooling.’
- ‘There seems to be this fascination with orality.’
- ‘In contrast to orality, writing offers to tradition the apparent advantages of physical duration (still more vital where people are dispersed), precision, and detail.’
- ‘This work establishes the concept of freedom as the principal motif of his ensuing works and evokes questions regarding differences between writing and orality as racial and cultural markers.’
- ‘Literacy might thus be considered a central cultural marker of capitalist, metropolitan, colonial societies; orality, in contrast, seems tied to agricultural, peripheral, colonized societies.’
- ‘Cusick's use of nonstandard English keeps certain significant features of orality alive in the textualized version of the oral tradition.’
- ‘Yet the study remains significant for its exploration of the interface between orality and literacy within a traditional society.’
- ‘The most extreme response to the new orality is performance poetry.’
- ‘His latest volume, A Paradise of Poets, still manages to blur traditional lines between literacy and orality, the ‘strong’ author and tribal collaborator.’
- ‘It is in this chapter that the reader sees the natural culmination of orality, African literature in African languages, and African literature in European languages.’
- ‘This discrepancy between writing and orality is not coincidental.’
- ‘This shift in sensibility toward orality is not a single literary movement, as it has sometimes been misconstrued.’
- ‘It is in the culture of African Americans that orality reigns supreme, where the poets, the preachers, and other people of the word command respect and authority in the African American community, as did the orators of ancient Greece.’
The focusing of sexual energy and feeling on the mouth.
- ‘Think also of the importance of the mouth and orality.’
- ‘The spectator at the cinematic dream screen regresses to a similar state of orality as the masochist and also experiences a loss of ego-body boundary.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.