One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or advocating oralism.
- ‘Highly organized and well-funded oralist organizations dominated the field of education in America and many European nations by the early twentieth century as well.’
- ‘But after the Congress of Milan on deaf education oralist approaches gradually became universal.’
- ‘Moreover, oralist promises that Deaf children could speak pulled at the heart strings of parents who wanted to hear their children's voices, who wanted their children to be ‘normal’ like them.’
- ‘A team formed by Deaf Life investigated the well-known Moscow Institute, and proclaimed it a failed experiment, in essence because of its rigid oralist program.’
- ‘As schools faced the challenge of oralist policies, Deaf churches gained greater influence by promoting cohesion within the community.’
A profoundly deaf person who uses speech and lip-reading to communicate, rather than sign language.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.