One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to express oneself fluently and grammatically in speech.‘infant teachers will be urged to concentrate on reading, writing, oracy and numeracy’
- ‘She says research by the program's originators, Brian Gray and Wendy Cowie, at the University of Canberra, indicates that written English is a vehicle and means of improving children's oracy.’
- ‘It has given shape to much of the Western world's inheritance of oracy and literacy.’
- ‘There are low levels of English literacy and oracy in many cases.’
- ‘And we're offering the students a program which not only develops their writing but their oracy from the beginning of schooling.’
- ‘It is in this context of the various communicative competencies required for electronic production and consumption that the term ‘literacy’ (or for that matter ‘oracy’) is questionable.’
1960s: from Latin os, or- ‘mouth’, on the pattern of literacy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.