Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1treated as singular The branch of technology concerned with the combined use of electronics and light.
- ‘There are more than 1500 technical papers on topics including lasers, biomedical optics, and optoelectronics.’
- ‘There may be fewer complaints about skills shortages now that the industry has shed thousands of jobs, but there are still dozens of unfilled posts in optoelectronics and electronic engineering.’
- ‘Photonics and optoelectronics are interesting and important technologies that are relevant to many of these markets.’
- ‘Another challenge is that optoelectronics is a mélange of unstandardized technologies and material systems.’
- ‘One area in which optoelectronics may play a role is in developing sensors for biological and chemical agents.’
- 1.1treated as plural Circuitry constructed using optoelectronics.
- ‘All known high performance optoelectronics are built on the rigid, brittle planar surfaces of semiconductor wafers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.