Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[treated as singular] The branch of technology concerned with the combined use of electronics and light.
- ‘Another challenge is that optoelectronics is a mélange of unstandardized technologies and material systems.’
- ‘Photonics and optoelectronics are interesting and important technologies that are relevant to many of these markets.’
- ‘There may be fewer complaints about skills shortages now that the industry has shed thousands of jobs, but there are still dozens of unfilled posts in optoelectronics and electronic engineering.’
- ‘There are more than 1500 technical papers on topics including lasers, biomedical optics, and optoelectronics.’
- ‘One area in which optoelectronics may play a role is in developing sensors for biological and chemical agents.’
- 1.1[treated as plural]Circuitry constructed using optoelectronics.
- ‘All known high performance optoelectronics are built on the rigid, brittle planar surfaces of semiconductor wafers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.