One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A non-essential additional item which is available for purchase.
- ‘A range of optional extras is available enabling a client to configure a system that best suits needs.’
- ‘Gloves were not an optional extra - they were as essential to your outfit as the right shoes or bag.’
- ‘Another optional extra is a video of the flight, captured on an in-flight camera.’
- ‘The multicolour seat, featured in the previous model, continues to be available as an optional extra.’
- ‘It is available as an optional extra for 2.0-litre models and above.’
- ‘It makes sense that the more optional extras you go for, the heavier the vehicle will be.’
- ‘Sauces and side orders are an optional extra, but sometimes the large, beautiful portions are quite enough by themselves.’
- ‘Sales and marketing director Tracey Brady says: ‘We want to provide our customers with a wide choice of quality optional extras that will help them create their dream home.’’
- ‘Automatic window wipers and folding, electrically heated door mirrors are optional extras.’
- ‘The test car was fitted with plenty of optional extras.’
- ‘But for the cars that seem to have everything, there are some optional extras available.’
- ‘On top of this, an electronic climate control, normally an optional extra costing £800, is available at a cut price of £250.’
- ‘There are also a few optional extras available including seat warmers and a keyless entry system.’
- ‘This was supplied with new kits and made available as an optional extra for existing aircraft.’
- ‘Also fairly impressive is the list of optional extras available for this American built machine.’
- ‘Lunch available in Stradbally is an optional extra.’
- ‘The system is available as an optional extra on the latest SLK-Class roadster which goes on sale here in the summer.’
- ‘Over the past 18 months almost every car manufacturer has begun including adaptive headlamps in its list of optional extras.’
- ‘The problem had been selecting the optional extras.’
- ‘The strap is an optional extra; you often see adverts for personalized ones in the papers, although plenty of luggage shops like Salisburys sell them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.