Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A very pure kind of glass used for lenses.
- ‘Optical fibers are made of extremely pure optical glass.’
- ‘Etched in optical glass, the reticle has the clarity Leupold scopes are renown for.’
- ‘Schott, a Carl Zeiss subsidiary, produces optical glass that is widely regarded as the finest in the world.’
- ‘Platinum crucibles are used to melt high-quality optical glass and to grow crystals for computer chips and lasers.’
- ‘A powerful internal light will illuminate the perforated 12-metre section near the stop, which will taper off to a tip of optical glass.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.