Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A thin flexible fibre with a glass core through which light signals can be sent with very little loss of strength.
- ‘Such fibres might outperform normal optical fibres because light trapped in their hollow core travels through a tenuous gas, rather than a solid glass.’
- ‘That is, one thin strand of optical fiber can receive and transmit light from 40 lasers at the same time.’
- ‘The light detected by the receiver is transmitted through an optical fibre to a computerised spectrum analyser.’
- ‘In that technique, an optical fiber is used to transmit light from a specially coated lens.’
- ‘At the basic level, a digital electrical signal is converted to an optical signal and transmitted across an optical fiber using a laser.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.