Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The degree to which a refractive medium retards transmitted rays of light.
- ‘The physical density is changed, but is the optical density changed as well?’
- ‘The antioxidant potential of serum was calculated by the decrease in the optical density during the first minute.’
- ‘For each sample, the optical densities were plotted as a function of volume loaded.’
- ‘The second method comprised measuring optical densities of bacterial cultures.’
- ‘Cultures were grown to an optical density of 1.0 in rich medium containing 2% dextrose.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.