Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of an optic nerve, causing blurred vision.
- ‘Steroids given orally are ineffective in treating optic neuritis and may actually increase a person's risk for future attacks.’
- ‘Other neurological features include cranial neuropathies, optic neuritis, and ataxia.’
- ‘Optic neuropathy and optic neuritis, sometimes progressing to total blindness, have been described in a small number of patients treated with amiodarone.’
- ‘When the inflammation doesn't involve the optic disk, doctors refer to it as retrobulbar optic neuritis.’
- ‘Significantly, 46 percent of patients with optic neuritis develop neurologic symptoms over 13 years of follow-up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.