Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Inflammation of an optic nerve, causing blurred vision.
- ‘When the inflammation doesn't involve the optic disk, doctors refer to it as retrobulbar optic neuritis.’
- ‘Other neurological features include cranial neuropathies, optic neuritis, and ataxia.’
- ‘Optic neuropathy and optic neuritis, sometimes progressing to total blindness, have been described in a small number of patients treated with amiodarone.’
- ‘Steroids given orally are ineffective in treating optic neuritis and may actually increase a person's risk for future attacks.’
- ‘Significantly, 46 percent of patients with optic neuritis develop neurologic symptoms over 13 years of follow-up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.