Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cup-like outgrowth of the brain of an embryo which develops into the retina.→ eyecup
- ‘Next, the lens placode buds into the space within the optic cup to form the embryonic lens.’
- ‘Cell division also occurs at the distal margin of the optic cup, a region known as the ciliary marginal zone.’
- ‘The first transplantation experiments were carried out reciprocally between surface fish and Pachon cavefish: a surface fish lens was transplanted into a cavefish optic cup and vice versa.’
- ‘However, the cavefish eye seems to develop normally up to about the hatching stage, forming a lens and optic cup.’
- ‘The neural retina of zebrafish, as in other vertebrates, arises from cells that line the optic cup.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.