Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for optical axis
- ‘However, this surface enhancement with a focused beam only occurs from surfaces perpendicular to the optic axis and would not explain the appearance of the axially oriented surfaces evident in both figures.’
- ‘Even if the objects are located along the optic axis, the three images will be separated and are available for separate inspection.’
- ‘Crystals of the calcareous cyst wall layer are orientated with their crystallographic optic axis (c-axis) tangential to the cyst's surface.’
- ‘Assume we have a thin section with a grain oriented so that we are looking down an optic axis.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.