Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make (a foreign cell) more susceptible to phagocytosis:‘CRP opsonizes the capsules of virulent pneumococci’
- ‘Three-micrometer latex beads were opsonized with human immunoglobulin G.’
- ‘The percentage of GAS opsonized was determined by counting the number of colonies growing after incubation with test immune sera and comparing this with the number of colonies growing after incubation with control sera.’
- ‘The role of B-cells in the immune response is to release antibodies that may opsonize a particular cell and assist T-cells in destruction of that cell.’
- ‘In humans and animals only M protein typespecific antibodies have the capacity to opsonize streptococci and to override the anti-phagocytic property of M protein.’
- ‘It opsonised GAS with an average percentage opsonisation of 46 and 50 per cent, respectively.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.