Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of the thumb of a primate) capable of facing and touching the other digits on the same hand.
- ‘A panda with a fully opposable thumb that is lacking in its nearest relatives is hard to explain via evolution.’
- ‘Their hands had only three digits: two fingers and an opposable thumb.’
- ‘The first 2 digits of their forefeet are opposable to the other three in the more arboreal species.’
- ‘Digits 1 and 2 on the forefeet are opposable to digits 3-5, and the hindfoot has a well-developed hallux.’
- ‘In other words, our ancestral rodents did not merely evolve gradually until they emerged as bipeds with opposable thumbs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.