Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Someone who competes with or opposes another in a contest, game, or argument.‘he beat his Republican opponent by a landslide margin’
rival, adversary, opposer, the opposition, fellow contestant, other candidate, other competitor, other contestant, other player, enemy, foe, antagonist, combatant, contender, challenger, critic, dissenter, disputant, objectorView synonyms
- ‘Our target is to win the tournament by dominating all opponents in every facet of the game.’
- ‘You only have to look at the reaction of your opponents when they do beat you, and how elated they are.’
- ‘He always tried to beat his opponents before the fight had even started through intimidation.’
- ‘You fight and battle to the end, no matter who the opponent is, because you are honouring the game.’
- ‘Then they allowed their opponents back into the game to snatch victory with two late goals.’
- ‘Even though their opponents scored a seven on the 14th, the game was never in doubt.’
- ‘What I want is fierce competition in the squad, as well as against our opponents.’
- ‘He did drop the opening frame to an opponent who had beaten him at the Welsh Open back in January.’
- ‘If successful, the bidders win the whole game; if not their opponents win the game.’
- ‘These clues apparently help him to work out how to beat each and every opponent.’
- ‘Like the wrestler who takes time from beating his opponent to show off to the crowd, it was a sign of confidence.’
- ‘This amendment was not opposed by Waters at the trial, and was not opposed by any other opponent.’
- ‘My only objective was not to give my opponent any easy chances to come back into the game.’
- ‘We have played against big teams and great players and have beaten strong opponents.’
- ‘The first game after the enforced break was a tough encounter against formidable opponents.’
- ‘There is an important lesson to be learned from this game, not only for my opponent but for me too.’
- ‘When a fighter steps into the ring, his aim is to hurt his opponent more than his opponent hurts him.’
- ‘Ballybrown were the opponents in the final and with the wind behind us we led at halftime.’
- ‘People can play the game on the internet with opponents from across the world.’
- ‘In both contests Webb stopped his opponents in the first round with an awesome display of punching.’
- 1.1A person who disagrees with or resists a proposal or practice.‘an opponent of the economic reforms’
opposer, objector, dissident, dissenter, rejectionistView synonyms
- ‘He was an eloquent opponent of the exercise of arbitrary power by governments the world over.’
- ‘It is more accurate to say he was an opponent of the regime.’
- ‘He has been lauded as a solitary champion of liberty and censured as the absurd opponent of progress.’
- ‘He was a lifelong opponent of militarism and oppression, and he became a committed socialist.’
- ‘Love and rural life are prominent themes, and he was a consistent opponent of Modernism.’
- ‘An ardent opponent of war, he made a packet from investing in military supplies.’
- ‘The most famous opponent of the New Deal was Huey Long, a Senator from Louisiana.’
- ‘So he has positioned himself as an opponent of free expression and online fun.’
- ‘Most importantly he was a vigorous opponent of giving the Bank of England independence.’
- ‘Hayden was a prominent opponent of the Vietnam War.’
- ‘He may consider himself to be an opponent of the war, but here too a point must be made.’
Late 16th century (denoting a person opening an academic debate by proposing objections to a philosophical or religious thesis): from Latin opponent- setting against, from the verb opponere, from ob- against + ponere place.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.