One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colleague or friend.‘an old oppo of mine’
companion, boon companion, bosom friend, best friend, close friend, intimate, confidante, confidant, familiar, soul mate, alter ego, second self, shadow, playmate, playfellow, classmate, schoolmate, workmate, ally, comrade, associateView synonyms
- ‘David told his oppo he had already gone to the top, and when his mate called his bluff he had to climb to the button to save face.’
- ‘At length my old mate rolls up with oppo in tow.’
- ‘My oppo, Mike goes into the machine room and fires up the console on the server.’
- ‘However, she was caught one night after hours trying to get back into barracks - her oppo had failed to unlatch the window.’
- ‘The story line has Carlyle fighting for survival in MI5 after a row with her oppo in France.’
- ‘We could have stayed longer but we had some oppos waiting shoreside and they wanted to continue the dockyard tour.’
1930s: abbreviation of opposite number.
- ‘they are doing extensive oppo, looking over her public financial records, getting copies of her divorce papers’short for opposition research
- ‘There needs to be greater integration between these campaigns and online volunteers, doing oppo and raising cash.’
- ‘The election was only on Sunday but already these oppo guys are at each other's throats.’
- ‘The nasty secret of the elections is undoubtedly the enormous growth in the past four years of the people who "do oppo".’
- ‘Since he's only been in the Senate five years, the GOP oppo team will have less of a record to mine.’
- ‘They are so scared of her that they are doing oppo on her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.