Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Paralysis of the muscles within or surrounding the eye.
- ‘Cranial nerve musculature is less involved, and ophthalmoplegia is rare.’
- ‘The patient was observed until approximately 20 months later, when he developed new complaints of a 4.5-kg weight loss, bone and joint pain, and ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘This is the first time that such a damaged enzyme - a DNA synthesis enzyme - has been shown to play a role in a degenerative disease, in this case a condition called progressive external ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘Chronic alcoholics are at risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy, in which delirium becomes complicated by ataxia and ophthalmoplegia.’
- ‘The latter would not explain the possible ophthalmoplegia and difficulty with ambulation, however.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.