An igneous rock consisting largely of serpentine, believed to have been formed from the submarine eruption of oceanic crustal and upper mantle material.
- ‘These felsic rocks are contemporaneous with or only slightly younger than rocks from the Guevgueli ophiolite.’
- ‘The Indus Suture Zone, also locally called the Sumdo Formation, contains the well-preserved Nidar ophiolite and the Zildat Ophiolitic Melange.’
- ‘The differences between the ophiolite and Cretaceous arcrelated rocks are shown in Figure 4.’
- ‘If this model does survive those tests, it has important implications for the tectonic environment in which the Troodos ophiolite formed.’
- ‘The Northland ophiolite crops out at headlands to the east and west of Cooper's Beach on the eastern Northland Peninsula.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek ophis ‘snake’ + -lite.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.