Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A room from which military or police operations are directed.
- ‘I just grabbed by armour and ran into the operations room wearing not very much.’
- ‘Members of the metro police and the SA Police Service are stationed at the operations room to monitor criminal activity.’
- ‘Witnesses said soldiers also took over offices of the Palestinian Authority and the Palestinian legislative council, as well as a makeshift police operations room.’
- ‘Tours of the ship took them through the operations room and up to the bridge before they met some of the fans in the Wardroom.’
- ‘Her accommodation has also been refurbished and her weapons systems and sensors overhauled, and Gloucester is also the first of her class to have colour, flat-screen displays in her operations room.’
- ‘The operations room, for example, has plenty of machinery still in place, and there is plenty to see in the engine room as well.’
- ‘These images appeared on large screens and individual consoles in a well-equipped operations room whose layout proved particularly well suited to the proposed plan.’
- ‘And when it comes to making sure the public is aware of what's out there, the marketing departments are at the epicentre of the operations room.’
- ‘A force spokesman said the operations rooms received 1,164 calls between 10 pm and 6am the following day.’
- ‘Each main fighter base had an operations room with maintenance and repair facilities for the planes attached to its sector.’
- ‘I was standing in the operations room of a cold war bunker in York.’
- ‘Once the party got started they really enjoyed themselves - playing with headsets in the operations room, and spending some time in the helicopter in the hangar.’
- ‘A helicopter was launched from Amarra with orders to look for the RMPs, whose exact location was unknown to the operations room there.’
- ‘Will Inspector Sands please come to the operations room?’
- ‘‘There is a main data base computer in one of the operations rooms, but only Darren and the higher officials were allowed access to it,’ Rachel said shooting down the idea.’
- ‘These include the medical room, the operations room (complete with massive banks of machinery and electrical kit), and accommodation areas.’
- ‘During the course of the inspection, community beat officers expressed concern that the area operations room, based in Claytonbrook, regularly deployed them to incidents that had been reported days earlier.’
- ‘The new systems will be fitted to the bridges and operations rooms of Navy warships for the electronic planning, monitoring and recording of voyages.’
- ‘Career options will be discussed weekly by visiting members of GMP including traffic, crime scene examination and the area operations room.’
- ‘They converted the admiral's dining room on board into an amphibious operations room.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.