One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of positivism which defines scientific concepts in terms of the operations used to determine or prove them.
- ‘According to operationalism, STR changes the meanings of the concepts of space and time from the classical conception.’
- ‘A large number of people said that the real was the measurable, which could be a sign of realism, operationalism, or hermeneutical realism.’
- ‘Milne's metaphysical views were based in positivism, most especially in operationalism: only those objects whose properties could be directly revealed by some observational procedure, or operation, were to be counted among the real.’
- ‘Third, Carnap realizes that the principle of operationalism is too restrictive.’
- ‘Notions like falsification, verification, and operationalism seem like gloves that ill-fit the hand of Nature, however fashionable they may appear on the hands of idealized scientists.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.