One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A theatre designed for the performance of opera.
- ‘Just as the rain began to fall in buckets, we reached the opera house.’
- ‘Greg has had little sympathy for those who go to the opera house or the concert hall for the purposes of spiritual uplift or communion with ossified High Culture.’
- ‘My dad owned the local opera house and was a playwright, my mother, an actress.’
- ‘We also had civic buildings, including a courthouse, and as our town was to be a cultural centre there was an opera house and a theatre.’
- ‘If nothing else, the performance reinforced the fact that Dublin needs an opera house.’
- ‘So many collaborators had emptied their diaries to be at the opera house for the rehearsal period.’
- ‘On the evening news from France 2 the other day, I saw a little piece on the new opera house in Beijing.’
- ‘This opera house has a great tradition and these colourful touring productions have been lavishly praised.’
- ‘It is a fantastic opera house, with challenging productions.’
- ‘Played multiple times, each player will spend a lot of time standing alone outside the opera house or a movie theater.’
- ‘One such marvellous site already exists and as yet nobody has looked at it as a possibility as either a new theatre or even an opera house.’
- ‘The Gehry opera house is not Frank's most dangerous design.’
- ‘Sydney has a great reputation for performing arts, not least because the opera house attracts the best of international acts.’
- ‘Every city and small town in Germany has an opera house and several other performance venues besides.’
- ‘The Beijing opera house's pictures and stories will also be part of the Salon of Arts, which will last until June 30.’
- ‘A landmark cultural building, either a theatre or an opera house, according to Coyne, will act as a focal point for the area.’
- ‘But peasants had made it to centre stage even in the opera house, and operatic verismo would become an established form.’
- ‘But until this month, they have given only a single performance together in an opera house.’
- ‘It was a European-style city with grand boulevards, classical buildings, a great cathedral and an opera house as well as a theatre.’
- ‘The opera house last year planned to recruit 20 new actors but only found 13.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.