One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The time at which public houses may legally open for custom.
- ‘By extending opening times and discouraging happy hours, the government hopes people will feel less inclined to drink heavily within a short space of time and therefore be in control of their faculties.’
- ‘You'd think the absence of early closing in the supermarket's opening times might have suggested to me that such a theory is not true, but somehow it never quite sinks in.’
- ‘No opening times have been relaxed, the Supermarkets are open on a Sunday, the bars are quiet and the roads busier than ever.’
- ‘Under the new scheme, every petrol station will be issued with a ‘drive off pack’, which contains a printed sheet to be filled in and the opening times of the nearest police station.’
- ‘This could lead to relaxing the opening times of pubs and bars and allowing them to stay open longer.’
- ‘Essentially the opening times are as above with daily period of open surgery where no appointment is required.’
- ‘Try lunchtime - I doubt they're open evenings but will check opening times next time I'm down there.’
- ‘A landlord has called for 24-hour opening times in pubs across Bolton after an experiment to open his bar for 36 hours during the New Year proved a success.’
- ‘Bar 38, one of York's newest venues, has applied for permission to extend its opening times from midnight every day.’
- ‘It will run through until Saturday 9th April and the opening times are 12 noon to 5 p.m. daily this week.’
- ‘I took the amended description and the contract in to the agent's this morning, wished the staff Happy Christmas and checked their opening times over the holidays.’
- ‘Council officers said the rangers will not only be approaching dog walkers during normal opening times but will also be introducing the dawn patrols.’
- ‘Inspector Kenna admitted the major drawback will be the reduction in public opening times, but said this was based on figures showing the use of the station.’
- ‘The Affinity Bar applied to increase the maximum number allowed in the basement from 100 to 160, to restrict the ground floor numbers also to 160 and to extend its opening time to midnight on a Sunday.’
- ‘On the other hand, keen golfers were left waiting at the 19th hole this morning as greenkeepers delayed opening times due to the frost.’
- ‘But she added that there were extra opportunities to invest in more community support officers, longer police station opening times and extra work to reduce road casualties.’
- ‘Because of increased demand, Relate Lancashire needs to extend its opening times at its Burnley office to include Thursday evenings and is appealing for more staff.’
- ‘Public opening times at Barnoldswick Police Station have been cut by four hours a day.’
- ‘The cafe will be open at breakfast time but opening times for the rest of the day have not yet been revealed.’
- ‘He said it had been proven many times that curtailing nightclub opening times did not reduce public order offences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.