One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A ceremony at which a building or other facility is declared to be open or an event begins.‘the song featured in the Olympic opening ceremony’
- ‘We started our opening ceremonies with a banner parade.’
- ‘Under his direction, the symphony performed at the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.’
- ‘He was speaking at the opening ceremony of a two-day technology expo.’
- ‘Scenes of the colourful opening ceremony launch a week of World Championship competition.’
- ‘She was performing the opening ceremony at a marquee in Victoria Square.’
- ‘The opening ceremony featured 10,000 performers in front of a 30,000 plus strong audience.’
- ‘He was called on to perform the official opening ceremony for the farm shops.’
- ‘Following speeches at the opening ceremony, each minister planted a tree in the embassy garden.’
- ‘There are tentative plans to stage the summit's opening ceremony at the Johannesburg Stadium at Ellis Park.’
- ‘A few hours later we are at the official opening ceremony, which includes everything from traditional drummers to a military band ushering in the newly elected President.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.