One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cause someone to realize or discover something.‘the letter finally opened my eyes to the truth’
inform, make aware, notify, tell, advise, let know, illuminate, open someone's eyes, appriseView synonyms
- ‘If you can only open your eyes, you will realize that I am addressing you not them.’
- ‘When he stops shooting they open their eyes and realize that the bullets didn't make it through.’
- ‘The least we can do is to realize the nature of that machine and open our eyes.’
- ‘The obtuse authoritarian administration has finally opened its eyes and realized that it must do something to address long-standing public rancor.’
- ‘He had intended to try his hand at a little matchmaking, to try and get them to open their eyes and realize that they were perfect for each other.’
- ‘As they open their eyes new leaders realize many of the gurus, experts, coaches, academics, and authorities, they listen to are charlatans who do not live what they talk and write about.’
- ‘The culture they discover will open their eyes to new things and allow them to appreciate the British way of life.’
- ‘I think that the Japanese people need to open their eyes and realize that they do not live in this world alone.’
- ‘Someone has to open our eyes and ears and help us to discover what lies beyond our own perception.’
- ‘Tragically, we often fail to open our eyes and realize this country of ours is teaming with unappreciated natural beauty and diversity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.