Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A supposed secret that is in fact known to many people.‘their affair was an open secret in army circles’
- ‘It signals the inevitability of secrets being opened in small communities, and the fact that open secrets necessitate the importance of self and social presentation.’
- ‘‘It had been an open secret in Boston political circles for years,’ reveals Bannon.’
- ‘I suppose it was an open secret that Fortune Mike had a kidney problem and that it never really cleared up.’
- ‘Royal Bank of Scotland has been touted as a potential occupier and, until recently, this was an open secret in Glasgow's property circles.’
- ‘You're saying this was an open secret for three months.’
- ‘Sexual abuse of children certainly was quite an open secret there.’
- ‘This is, in fact, another of those open secrets of academic publishing: a book doesn't actually need an original theory.’
- ‘It is an open secret that Gardai ‘on the beat’ encounter all kinds of difficulties emanating in the main from an over indulgence in alcohol.’
- ‘Their presence, however, is an open secret in the town.’
- ‘The girl is still at school so it's one of those open secrets.’
- ‘It is now an open secret that a senior police official in this region and the administrative head of the district are not on the same wavelength.’
- ‘This state of affairs has been an open secret for some time in Turkey and is now being more or less openly admitted by the media and many well-known politicians.’
- ‘It is an open secret in study abroad that many Americans work there ‘under-the-table’ without a visa.’
- ‘But the open secret in politics is that attacks can work, and that no serious campaign leaves any openings unexploited.’
- ‘But there is an open secret within the media community.’
- ‘The move lifts the lid on one of the biggest open secrets in the medical profession that often sees drinking problems among doctors being swept under the carpet.’
- ‘Yet our secret government is an open secret: a condition that cannot last.’
- ‘Neither party has confirmed that talks have begun on a possible offer, despite the fact that the discussions are now an open secret.’
- ‘In fact, it is an open secret that many African governments are dominated by small elite groups that run their countries in a secretive and authoritarian manner.’
- ‘But it is also an example of the common pattern by which open secrets only get discussed by the press once a prominent person states them publicly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.