Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A future available date for which no sports fixture has yet been arranged.
- ‘After all, we are in the midst of open dates in which everyone's rosters will be taxed, giving you a chance to win even with a dinged-up team.’
- ‘He will have to eliminate the errors if he wants a shot on defense… The team has made a concerted effort to get the running game going since its open date.’
- ‘For the eighth consecutive season, the Colts are coming off an open date with a game at home.’
- ‘Now that all the NFL teams have had their open dates, there's little reason to stash away that third quarterback or sixth wide receiver in leagues of standard depth.’
- ‘It's a sprint to the finish, no more open dates, which means no one gets a week off… excluding, of course, defenses facing the Bears.’
- ‘The league and the players association should consider this compromise: allow some hitting in an offseason minicamp and another week to the regular seas by giving each team two open dates.’
- ‘The caller was Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whose team had an open date that day.’
- ‘After an open date this weekend, the Rams begin the stretch run, with six of their final nine games against division opponents.’
- ‘But with the scrapping of last weekend's games and an open date this weekend, the team has plenty of time to get healthy for its next game, September 30 at Buffalo.’
- ‘After an open date, the team will play November 11 at Philadelphia, a team that also will try to mount a second-half run at the playoffs.’
- ‘Here's what you can count on: trouble when the open dates start.’
- ‘The league's newest team is 1-0 in the division and 3-3 going into its open date.’
- ‘All of which is especially worth noting this week, because two of the league's worst defenses - Cincinnati and Tennessee - have an open date, and the remaining matchups seemingly leave a lot of fantasy lineup decisions too close to call.’
- ‘Will the players be able to avoid the kind of mental and physical mistakes that plague so many teams coming off open dates?’
- ‘They play the Colts on Sunday and then, after an open date, face the Eagles and Broncos.’
- ‘Perhaps his more focused play will help the team after the open date.’
- ‘Following the open date, several injured players should return.’
- ‘Two home games and an open date are on the horizon, so the good times could continue - if the offense, spotty against the Bears, picks up.’
- ‘While having a deep bench is critical in September and October, it's less imperative once teams quit having open dates.’
- ‘The open dates for the two teams were incorrect in the September 3 issue.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.