Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A future available date for which no sports fixture has yet been arranged.
- ‘All of which is especially worth noting this week, because two of the league's worst defenses - Cincinnati and Tennessee - have an open date, and the remaining matchups seemingly leave a lot of fantasy lineup decisions too close to call.’
- ‘While having a deep bench is critical in September and October, it's less imperative once teams quit having open dates.’
- ‘Perhaps his more focused play will help the team after the open date.’
- ‘Now that all the NFL teams have had their open dates, there's little reason to stash away that third quarterback or sixth wide receiver in leagues of standard depth.’
- ‘They play the Colts on Sunday and then, after an open date, face the Eagles and Broncos.’
- ‘Will the players be able to avoid the kind of mental and physical mistakes that plague so many teams coming off open dates?’
- ‘He will have to eliminate the errors if he wants a shot on defense… The team has made a concerted effort to get the running game going since its open date.’
- ‘Here's what you can count on: trouble when the open dates start.’
- ‘The league's newest team is 1-0 in the division and 3-3 going into its open date.’
- ‘After an open date this weekend, the Rams begin the stretch run, with six of their final nine games against division opponents.’
- ‘Following the open date, several injured players should return.’
- ‘The open dates for the two teams were incorrect in the September 3 issue.’
- ‘Two home games and an open date are on the horizon, so the good times could continue - if the offense, spotty against the Bears, picks up.’
- ‘The league and the players association should consider this compromise: allow some hitting in an offseason minicamp and another week to the regular seas by giving each team two open dates.’
- ‘But with the scrapping of last weekend's games and an open date this weekend, the team has plenty of time to get healthy for its next game, September 30 at Buffalo.’
- ‘After an open date, the team will play November 11 at Philadelphia, a team that also will try to mount a second-half run at the playoffs.’
- ‘It's a sprint to the finish, no more open dates, which means no one gets a week off… excluding, of course, defenses facing the Bears.’
- ‘The caller was Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whose team had an open date that day.’
- ‘For the eighth consecutive season, the Colts are coming off an open date with a game at home.’
- ‘After all, we are in the midst of open dates in which everyone's rosters will be taxed, giving you a chance to win even with a dinged-up team.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.