One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A future available date for which no sports fixture has yet been arranged.
- ‘Now that all the NFL teams have had their open dates, there's little reason to stash away that third quarterback or sixth wide receiver in leagues of standard depth.’
- ‘For the eighth consecutive season, the Colts are coming off an open date with a game at home.’
- ‘He will have to eliminate the errors if he wants a shot on defense… The team has made a concerted effort to get the running game going since its open date.’
- ‘But with the scrapping of last weekend's games and an open date this weekend, the team has plenty of time to get healthy for its next game, September 30 at Buffalo.’
- ‘Two home games and an open date are on the horizon, so the good times could continue - if the offense, spotty against the Bears, picks up.’
- ‘After an open date, the team will play November 11 at Philadelphia, a team that also will try to mount a second-half run at the playoffs.’
- ‘Here's what you can count on: trouble when the open dates start.’
- ‘After an open date this weekend, the Rams begin the stretch run, with six of their final nine games against division opponents.’
- ‘It's a sprint to the finish, no more open dates, which means no one gets a week off… excluding, of course, defenses facing the Bears.’
- ‘The caller was Giants coach Tom Coughlin, whose team had an open date that day.’
- ‘Following the open date, several injured players should return.’
- ‘After all, we are in the midst of open dates in which everyone's rosters will be taxed, giving you a chance to win even with a dinged-up team.’
- ‘Will the players be able to avoid the kind of mental and physical mistakes that plague so many teams coming off open dates?’
- ‘Perhaps his more focused play will help the team after the open date.’
- ‘The league's newest team is 1-0 in the division and 3-3 going into its open date.’
- ‘While having a deep bench is critical in September and October, it's less imperative once teams quit having open dates.’
- ‘The league and the players association should consider this compromise: allow some hitting in an offseason minicamp and another week to the regular seas by giving each team two open dates.’
- ‘All of which is especially worth noting this week, because two of the league's worst defenses - Cincinnati and Tennessee - have an open date, and the remaining matchups seemingly leave a lot of fantasy lineup decisions too close to call.’
- ‘They play the Colts on Sunday and then, after an open date, face the Eagles and Broncos.’
- ‘The open dates for the two teams were incorrect in the September 3 issue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.