Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become opaque.with object ‘milk-glass opacified with arsenic displays a fiery opalescence’‘if the cavity opacifies, you should consider a fungal ball’
- ‘Catheter shapes vary from flush catheters that opacify large vessels to selective catheters that can be introduced into branch vessels.’
- ‘In conformity with the 16 th-century recipes, the opaque white glass is coloured and opacified by small tin oxide crystals within a glass which is rich in lead.’
- ‘The normal gallbladder (without stones) becomes opacified after the ingestion of iodinated contrast tablets.’
- ‘Thrombosed AVMs may not opacify during angiography and may only be recognized as areas of avascular mass effect or very subtle arteriovenous shunting.’
- ‘The 11 cases were part of a series of 8000 roentgen examinations, in which the esophagus was opacified as an essential requirement for the conclusive diagnosis of right aortic arch.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.