Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of abstract art that gives the illusion of movement by the precise use of pattern and colour, or in which conflicting patterns emerge and overlap. Bridget Riley and Victor Vasarely are its most famous exponents.
- ‘Her work is op art: lines, colour and form swim before your eyes and question your normal perception of space.’
- ‘The students used the op art of Dutch artist MC Escher and the pop art of 60s pioneer Roy Lichtenstein to promote the scheme.’
- ‘Nice trippy visuals in the background: negative horses, Russian dancers, a pit-head, Bridget Riley op art, an eyeball, windfarms, a bolt of lightning.’
- ‘After World War II, Scandinavian design, abstract expressionism, op art and the postmodern Memphis style were also felt.’
- ‘Abstract painting was at its peak and op art, auto-destructive art and the sculpture of Caro and others contributed to the originality that helped make London swing.’
- ‘Andrew Graves has painted some pale and wonky op art, as if Bridget Riley had been left out in the rain: so what?’
- ‘I point out, for example, that what happens in Conner's drawings is very different than what happens in op art.’
- ‘Sure, science can these days count the exact number of molecules in the piece of op art included here by Ludwig Wilding.’
- ‘Having one's vision dilate and fold into enviro-friendly op art might sound tweely retro, but it's still more enthralling than Laib's rack of beeswax boats, delicately scattered rice or a stone slab daubed with milk.’
- ‘Other prints for the 2004 summer season include those inspired by op art, art deco, wallpaper, Asian flowers, Impressionist florals, soft faded Vintage floral blooms and softly tinted romantic Chinoiserie prints.’
- ‘We entered a smaller room than most, featuring modernist paintings and sculptures from the surrealist to the abstract expressionist, from op art to found art, from the photographic to the neoraphaelite.’
- ‘Li Chung-sheng was a pioneer of abstract painting in the 1950s. Other modernist movements, such as surrealism, Dadaism, pop art, minimalism, and op art, influenced artists in the 1960s and 1970s.’
1960s: shortened from optical art, on the pattern of pop art.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.