One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting reproduction by the union of mobile male and immobile female gametes.
- ‘Identification of the charophycean lineage as the sister group of land plants suggests that their common ancestor was a branched, filamentous organism with a haplontic life cycle and oogamous reproduction.’
- ‘All are filamentous, oogamous, and have net-like chloroplasts.’
- ‘Sexual reproduction is known only in two genera: Botrydium, in which the sex cells are isogamous, and Vaucheria, in which the cells are oogamous.’
- ‘Oomycetes are oogamous, producing large non-motile gametes called eggs, and smaller gametes called sperm.’
- ‘Particularly in oogamous species, uniparental inheritance of mitochondria has been attributed to the small number of mitochondria in the male gamete.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.