Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cell in an ovary which may undergo meiotic division to form an ovum.
- ‘In mammals, signals from the gonads determine whether the germ cells develop into oocytes or sperm.’
- ‘Generally, this reflects a decline in the number of oocytes in the ovary (decreased ovarian reserve).’
- ‘As semen quality reduces, the proportion of oocytes fertilised by in vitro insemination decreases.’
- ‘However, in young women this comes at a price - many women lose ovarian function because oocytes or their support cells are damaged by the treatment.’
- ‘The oocyte is then allowed to develop to the blastocyst stage in vitro.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.