One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cell in an ovary which may undergo meiotic division to form an ovum.
- ‘In mammals, signals from the gonads determine whether the germ cells develop into oocytes or sperm.’
- ‘As semen quality reduces, the proportion of oocytes fertilised by in vitro insemination decreases.’
- ‘The oocyte is then allowed to develop to the blastocyst stage in vitro.’
- ‘Generally, this reflects a decline in the number of oocytes in the ovary (decreased ovarian reserve).’
- ‘However, in young women this comes at a price - many women lose ovarian function because oocytes or their support cells are damaged by the treatment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.