Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The practice of searching for a romantic or sexual partner on the Internet, typically via a dedicated website.‘with the rise of Internet dating has come a new carelessness about dating etiquette’→ e-dating
- ‘Visiting a friend several weeks ago I was introduced to the American phenomenon of internet dating.’
- ‘Reputation management is the next big thing in online dating, prepare for an onslaught of services catering to this niche.’
- ‘Online dating is going to evolve with the convergence of various technologies.’
- ‘The National Association of Dating Websites will aim to portray online dating in a more favorable light.’
- ‘People seem to be tiring of online dating.’
- ‘I just saw a commercial for yet another movie with a theme centered around online dating.’
- ‘She was furious a year and a half ago when her mom suggested she try online dating.’
- ‘To be sure, some parents are still concerned with safety online or still don't know what online dating is.’
- ‘Later, I get lectured that I've violated the codes of internet dating.’
- ‘At the same time, the burgeoning practice of blogging is pushing online dating even further toward "informed choice."’
- ‘I have had plenty of relationship experience in the past but never really "dated" very actively until the advent of internet dating.’
- ‘With online dating, the same is true.’
- ‘I'm in my mid-30s and have started doing some internet dating.’
- ‘Her mother, however, didn't give up, mentioning online dating a couple more times in passing over the summer, even offering to pay.’
- ‘Online dating is following a similar evolutionary process.’
- ‘Ten per cent of the 2,000 people questioned for the BT poll said they were seeing people they met through internet dating or social networking sites.’
- ‘Talking about internet dating with friends we were joking about all the cliche first date ideas.’
- ‘In this age of text-messages, online dating, email relationships, the very concept of the 'blind date' seems oddly antiquated.’
- ‘The situation has about it some of the dynamics of internet dating.’
- ‘I went out on the town, tried meeting girls at University and in the end, even tried internet dating.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.