Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A loose-fitting one-piece leisure garment covering the torso and legs:‘I'd had a bath and was in my onesie ready to settle down for yet another reality TV marathon’
- ‘Both my teenage step daughters wear not only the onesie pj’s but also going out onesies.’
- ‘I must admit, the idea of wearing an adult onesie is somewhat intriguing.’
- ‘I have recently jumped on the band wagon and got myself a onesie.’
- ‘The TV star was seen in Liverpool wearing a onesie and bright orange boots.’
- ‘Honestly, I would have to take a picture of any adult who goes out in public in a onesie.’
- ‘Good looking models can wear anything and get away with it, but onesies definitely aren’t for everyone.’
- ‘The winter months have set in and all I want to do is kick back in front of the roaring fire whilst sporting my brand new onesie.’
- ‘The real problem with the onesie is not that it makes one look sexless, but that it makes one look like a child.’
- ‘The group is fond of sporting zip-up mechanic's uniforms onstage, or "onesies," as drummer Melissa York lovingly refers to them.’
- ‘I have often fantasized about living my entire indoor life in a cashmere onesie, with snaps up the front and footie slippers attached.’
- ‘The church’s reception area was decorated with a number of mementos from Crystal’s life, including a tiara, framed pictures of her with loved ones, and an adult-sized pink onesie with feet.’
- ‘Sometimes they are not pratical, but over all, I am a onesie girl.’
- ‘It looks like the video will use lots of quick cuts and snazzy effects and feature Marcus wearing a bowtie and dancing with a whole bunch of leggy ladies in full-body onesies.’
- ‘I'm sitting in bed wearing a onesie.’
- ‘Every night I came home from teaching, put on my onesie, wrapped myself in a duvet, and drank tea on the couch.’
- ‘When I drove Joe to work early in my onesie, I had to slam on my brakes and almost got rear ended.’
- ‘Couples wearing matching onesies is creepy.’
- ‘I like well-designed, useful things for children and parents, such as cashmere onesies for the entire family.’
- ‘The staple denim cut-offs and printed dresses and "onesies" are spot-on for festival goers.’
- ‘I even saw a woman wearing a tiger onesie at the train station the other day.’
2North American A one-piece close-fitting lightweight garment worn by a young child, usually having sleeves but leaving the legs uncovered and fastening with press studs at the crotch.
- ‘She handed me a yellow Carter's onesie with a soft yellow duck on the chest.’
- ‘Onesies are very practical clothing for babies to wear.’
- ‘Both stores are also good sources for flannel receiving blankets, pajamas, onesies, and other items that you'll want to buy in bulk.’
- ‘As you can tell from his onesie, I exclusively breastfeed.’
- ‘Do you experience a tingling sense of well-being when you know exactly where the 3-6 month old onesies are in your nursery?’
- ‘One vendor was even selling a baby's pink onesie emblazoned with the New York Police Department logo.’
- ‘Little Amy was crawling around the floor in a "Daddy's Girl" onesie.’
- ‘By the time they bring their new little family member home, they've taken classes, read a library's worth of books, and bought enough onesies to fill an entire dresser.’
- ‘Putting away all the blankets and baby socks and teeny tiny onesies made everything seem so real.’
- ‘One of the photos in the slideshow was of him as a baby, sporting a onesie with Mickey Mouse on the front.’
- ‘I find the t-shirts better than onesies, especially for diaper-changing purposes.’
- ‘I'm sorry that I dressed you in that onesie that was too small but was still so cute that I wanted you to wear it at least one more time.’
- ‘Organic cotton is very important for the baby clothing market and the onesie was an easy fit with the youth and baby tees that we already offered.’
- ‘These days you can buy your baby daughter a BORN TO SHOP onesie with little pink purses on it.’
- ‘I've decided that "experiments with gravity" would be an excellent phrase to print on a baby onesie and toddler t-shirt.’
- ‘She gave me tips on creating a full layette and showed me some darling booties and onesies.’
- ‘The onesies, in sets of three, will be decorated with a peace symbol, a heart, and a happy face: peace, love, and happiness.’
- ‘We had stacks of onesies we'd bought on sale at Baby Gap.’
- ‘My baby is 2 weeks old, and because she was 2 weeks late and nearly 10lbs, she isn't fitting into the smaller onesies very well.’
- ‘Her baby brother loved both servings so much that he smeared them all over his face, his onesie, the kitchen floor, and the couch.’
1980s: from Onesies, a proprietary name for a garment of this type, based on one + -sy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.