Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The interpretation of dreams in order to foretell the future.
- ‘In Mortal Coils, an interaction of oneiromancy and mediumism was embodied in multiple projections among slowly twisting ropes, as if something were dimly viewed while transpiring underwater or in a netherworld.’
- ‘You know, I've heard about oneiromancy, which is divination by interpreting dreams, kind of hard to get accurate -’
- ‘One in every five believes in oneiromancy (dream divination), and one in every four takes astrology seriously.’
- ‘This was a recognised art in ancient times and was called ‘oneiromancy’.’
- ‘How about general broadcast oneiromancy, like the popular bedtime suggestion ‘Sweet Dreams’?’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.