Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The interpretation of dreams in order to foretell the future.
- ‘In Mortal Coils, an interaction of oneiromancy and mediumism was embodied in multiple projections among slowly twisting ropes, as if something were dimly viewed while transpiring underwater or in a netherworld.’
- ‘You know, I've heard about oneiromancy, which is divination by interpreting dreams, kind of hard to get accurate -’
- ‘This was a recognised art in ancient times and was called ‘oneiromancy’.’
- ‘One in every five believes in oneiromancy (dream divination), and one in every four takes astrology seriously.’
- ‘How about general broadcast oneiromancy, like the popular bedtime suggestion ‘Sweet Dreams’?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.