One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One could do something with no effort or conscious thought.‘it's a cinch. I could do it in my sleep’‘she knew the music perfectly, could sing it in her sleep’
- ‘They could do it in their sleep, which some of them looked very near.’
- ‘Listening to the arguments for pornography is like listening to the refrain of a song one can sing in one's sleep.’
- ‘By now, they can probably give them in their sleep.’
- ‘The ability to execute simple skills at the highest level at pace was absent, whereas the All Blacks seemed to be able to do it in their sleep.’
- ‘You could recite stopping distances and road signs in your sleep.’
- ‘The company's line is so practised that they can recite it in their sleep: more jobs, more choice - and what's more, shoppers want it.’
- ‘But when you've been at this (the record business) as long as me, you can think in your sleep.’
- ‘The instructions in issue 10 are spare, intended for Craftsman-level builders who frame walls in their sleep.’
- ‘By this stage, you could build a movie in your sleep.’
- ‘Do this until you feel so comfy with every note you could sing the tune in your sleep.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.