One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Used to refer to one's home with an ironic or humorous show of modesty.‘how to transform your humble abode into a top totty student bedroom in minutes!’
unpretentious, modest, unostentatious, plain, simple, ordinaryView synonyms
- ‘And Amelia wants me to let you know that we miss you and that you're welcome to stay with us, in our humble abode, anytime you're in town.’
- ‘Currently, we don't even have a TV in my humble abode.’
- ‘It was on Sunday Steve finally convinced me to visit his humble abode.’
- ‘I refer primarily to my humble abode, which is such a disaster that I fear I may come home to find the cats have run away to protest conditions.’
- ‘To celebrate a relative's 80th birthday the whole family descended en-masse to our humble abode.’
- ‘‘Welcome to our humble abode,’ Ricky said, entering the room, his guest beside him.’
- ‘Get it wrong and you could end up lowering the value of your humble abode!’
- ‘I'm very grateful that my neighbors were curious enough about the cries of pain emanating from my humble abode and called the paramedics.’
- ‘In the meantime, you will rest in my humble abode.’
- ‘How he regretted bringing Jeremy into his humble abode.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.