One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Precisely at the specified time.‘he arrived on the stroke of two’
precisely, exactly, right, directly, immediately, squarely, just, deadView synonyms
- ‘The all-clear was officially given on the stroke of New Year's Day.’
- ‘Thousands of fireworks were let off in the castle grounds at the stroke of midnight to mark to the start of the New Year.’
- ‘Athy were unlucky not to add another try on the stroke of full time.’
- ‘Wicklow came again and grabbed the winner just on the stroke of time.’
- ‘Jones notched a penalty on the stroke of halftime to make it 15-6.’
- ‘At the stroke of noon Company A would start blowing up what was left.’
- ‘Derry finally crossed for North Yorkshire on the stroke of half-time following a flowing cross-field move.’
- ‘Their lead didn't last long, however, as right on the stroke of half-time the sides were level again.’
- ‘There was a very fine attendance at the Christmas Eve Mass which ended on the stroke of midnight.’
- ‘Finally, at the stroke of midnight, they started back for her hotel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.